– Working to ensure convenient and expedited access to REAL ID when it becomes available this spring, Rep. Andrew Lewis (R-Dauphin) is joining with PennDOT to host a REAL ID Verification Pop-Up Event on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at the Lower Paxton Township Municipal Building
, located at 425 Prince St. in Harrisburg
, starting at 6 p.m.
“These pop-up events are a great way for residents to get their documents pre-verified without the hassle of visiting a local driver license center,” Lewis said. “While our law does not require people to obtain a REAL ID, many will choose to do so and we want to make the process as convenient and consumer-friendly as possible.”
Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, federal law will require people to have a REAL ID-compliant driver's license, photo ID card, or another form of federally acceptable identification (such as a valid passport or military ID) to board a domestic commercial flight or enter a federal building or military installation that requires ID.
In order to qualify for a REAL ID, PennDOT needs to verify original versions or certified copies of the following documents:
• Proof of identity, such as an original or certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised or embossed seal, or a valid U.S. passport or passport card. Birth certificates with a sticker rather than an embossed seal will not be accepted.
• Proof of Social Security number by providing your Social Security card. The name on the card must match the name on your current driver license or photo identification card.
• Proof of legal name changes, such as marriage certificates or court orders issued by a family court. You must have documentation to show all name changes from your original name on your birth certificate to your current name.
• Proof of current, physical address, such as your current, unexpired driver license or state issued ID card, vehicle registration or utility bill. TWO forms of proof must be provided.
Once a person’s documents are pre-verified, they need only apply online for their REAL ID when it becomes available in March, and it will be mailed to them within 10 business days.
RSVPs are requested and may be made at RepLewis.com
For additional information about REAL ID and acceptable documentation, click here
Representative Andrew Lewis
105th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Patricia A. Hippler